Skip to Main Content
Report a Concern
Places to Go
I Want To...
City of Edina Form Center
Find your form, fill it out and submit online.
Select a Category
Contact Us/Share a Concern
Parks & Recreation
Pets & Apiaries
Publications & Merchandise
Sports and Recreation
signing in or creating an account
, some fields will auto-populate with your information and your submitted forms will be saved and accessible to you.
Sign in to Save Progress
Recreational Fire Permit
This form has been modified since it was saved. Please review all fields before submitting.
Requirements listed below shall apply to all recreational fires:
1. All recreational fires shall be considered open burning and a permit shall be required. Recreational fire permits may be obtained at the Edina Fire Department, Station Number 1 or through this online form.
2. Recreational fires must be on private property and the property owner shall make application for this permit.
3. Permits are valid only for the calendar year.
4. Fires are not permitted between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. Sunday through Thursday or between midnight and 7 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.
5. Fires shall be contained within a fire ring, pit, manufactured wood-burning appliance or similar device constructed for such use.
6. The fire shall not be located within 25 feet of any structure on this property or neighboring property and shall be 10 feet away from property lines.
7. The area within a 5-foot radius around the fire or device shall be reasonably clear of combustibles. The area directly above the fire shall be clear of all combustibles.
8. Notify your neighbors about your recreational fire.
9. An approved form of fire extinguisher shall be readily available. This may include an extinguisher, hose or other equipment designed for such use.
10. The wood to be burned shall be clean and produce little detectable smoke or odor. Only split and dry fireplace wood, minimum 1 inch in diameter shall be used. No treated wood, construction materials, yard waste (leaves, grass, twigs, etc.) shall be burned.
11. Oils, combustible and flammable liquids, rubber, plastics, chemically treated materials, construction materials, hazardous waste and rubbish/trash, shall not be burned or used as starting material.
12. No flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline shall be used to kindle or rekindle a fire.
13. In all cases, the total fuel load of the fire shall not exceed 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height.
14. The prevailing wind at the time of burning shall be away from nearby residences and must be less than 15 miles per hour (mph).
15. The fire must be attended at all times by at least one responsible person 18 years of age or older.
16. The fire must be completely extinguished before leaving it unattended. (Use care when extinguishing the fire to avoid throwing embers into the air and to prevent damage if a manufactured device is in use.)
Prior to starting the fire the permit holder must contact the Edina Fire Department Recreational Fire Hotline at 952-826-0398.
The Edina Fire Department or the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MN DNR) may restrict recreational fires during periods of high fire danger. Traditionally this has occurred during the months of April and May but may occur at other times. Observation of these requirements does not release persons of any liability for damages that may result from a recreational fire.
Fires may be ordered extinguished and this permit revoked by the Fire Department if:
- Any recreational fire requirement is violated
- If a fire hazard exists or develops
- We receive valid complaints from your neighbors regarding the fire, smoke or other violations
First Name of Homeowner
Last Name of Homeowner
Service Street Address
Cell Phone Number
For Text Messages
By selecting "Submit" below, I agree that I am a legal adult 18 years of age or older and understand this permit does not release me of any liability for damages that may result from the conducting of this recreational fire. Further, I agree to comply with all recreational fire requirements listed above.
I have read this notice and agree.
Leave This Blank:
Receive an email copy of this form.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field
Better Together Edina
Learn About Projects
Book An Appointment
Permits & Applications
City Extra Email
City of Edina
Slideshow Left Arrow
Slideshow Right Arrow