Edina, Minn., March 28, 2022 – Each American throws away an average of 80 pounds of clothing annually. To keep clothes out of the landfill, the City of Edina will host an Earth Day Community Clothing Exchange 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, April 23, at Braemar Arena’s Backyard Rink, 7501 Ikola Way.
The City will accept donations of clean clothes in good repair 10 a.m. to noon. “Shwapping” will begin at 11 a.m.
“We can look good and help our planet,” said Organics Recycling Coordinator Twila Singh. “Remember, there is no Planet B.”
Singh shares the following rules for the event:
- Open to everyone; you do not need to be an Edina resident to participate.
- Please bring items before noon so volunteers have time to place them on tables. Items will only be accepted April 23.
- Donations are limited to one large bag or tote per guest. Please hand items to the volunteers at the front of the entrance. Volunteers will then weigh the bag and place items on the tables for shwapping.
- All human clothes are acceptable. This includes adult and children’s clothing, accessories and jewelry. No undergarments, socks, swimsuits, costumes or gear is allowed. Please ask ahead of time if you are unsure if an item can be taken.
- Shoes are allowed if they are clean and are in good condition. Shoes for the Used Sneaker Fundraiser will be collected in a separate container.
- Everything should be washed, dry and in good repair. High-value items in need of small repairs (broken zipper, missing button, etc.) are acceptable.
- Once items have been placed onto the tables for shwapping, they are considered forfeit and will not be returned to participants.
- Make sure to clean out any pockets or purses before donating.
- Participants do not have to bring items to take items. Participants must bring their own bags to take items home in.
- Do not leave any personal items left unattended as they may be confused with swap items.
- Please keep food and beverages away from tables.
Items left over from the swap will be donated through the MN DAV organization, davmn.org/.
For more information, contact Singh, 952-826-1657 or tsingh@EdinaMN.gov or visit bit.ly/22EdinaSwap.