May 14, 2022
Giveaway begins at 10 a.m. until trees are gone
7420 Braemar Blvd.
Edina, MN 55439
Postponed: Tree Giveaway - No Reservation Required
Saturday, May 14, 2022
This event has been postponed. It will now be held starting at 10 a.m. Sunday, June 5.
All trees that were not claimed during the City's giveaway May 9-13 will be available to Edina residents first come, first served starting at 10 a.m. until they are gone.
Bring ID showing an Edina address. Trees must be planted in Edina.
Residents can choose among the following bare-root trees. Seedling size is the approximate size of the tree at pickup.
- Mountain Ash: grows 10-30 feet tall, 15 feet wide, full sun and partial shade. Yellow, orange and reddish-purple leaves in fall, spring white flowers, produces clusters of red berry-like fruit loved by birds. Seedling size: 3-4 feet.
- Quaking Aspen: grows 40-50 feet tall, 20-30 feet wide, full sun. Cream-colored bark, stunning yellow fall color. Seedling size: 2-3 feet.
- River Birch: grows 40-70 feet tall, 40-60 feet wide, full sun, partial sun/shade. Prized for its cinnamon-colored bark that curls and peels once tree is mature; deer and songbird friendly. Seedling size: 2-3 feet.
- Hackberry: grows 40-60 feet both tall and wide, full sun. Growth resembles an elm; produces small dark red/purple fruit in autumn that attracts winter birds; butterfly friendly. Seedling size: 3-4 feet.
- Bitternut Hickory: grows 60-80 feet tall, 35 feet wide, winter color/interest, produces bitter nuts eaten by squirrels and deer. Seedling size: 18 to 24 inches.
- American Linden: grows 60-110 feet tall, 30 to 50 feet wide, full sun but will tolerate shade. Fragrant yellow spring flowers attract pollinators. Wildlife friendly as small mammals and birds eat the seeds of its small nut-like berry. Seedling size: 2-3 feet.
- Pin Oak: grows 60-70 feet tall, 25-40 feet wide, full sun, tolerates many soil conditions. Scarlet and bronze fall color; acorns eaten by songbirds, ducks, squirrels and deer. Seedling size: 2-3 feet.
- Swamp White Oak: grows 50-60 feet tall and wide, full sun, well adapted to areas with poor drainage. Yellow, bronze and red-purple fall color, attracts variety of birds. Seedling size: 2-3 feet.
- Red Pine: grows 60-80 feet high, 30-40 feet wide, full sun. Has reddish-brown bark and produces resin-free small cones. Also known as Norway Pine. Seedling size: 7-15 inches.
- White Pine: grows 50-80 feet tall, 20-40 feet wide, full sun, partial sun/shade. Provides nesting sites for many birds, and its seeds are eaten by birds and small mammals. Widely used as a Christmas tree. Seedling size: 7-15 inches.
- Tamarack: grows 40-80 feet high, 15-30 feet wide, full sun. Deciduous conifer with blue-green needless in spring and summer that turn yellow and orange in fall and drop, creating a fine mulch. Seedling size: 12-18 inches.
Before arriving, please prepare a spot in your car by lining it with a tarp, plastic bag or old towels as the roots may be damp or dirty. These trees are bare root and not in a pot or container.
Learn more about most of these trees on the Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree Guide at arborday.org/trees/treeguide.