Information for Residents
Welcome! We are pleased you have chosen Edina in which to make your home and hope you will enjoy our community for many years.
The Law: Edina City Code Sec. 26-282. Operation of Bicycles. Any person operating a bicycle on any street or bicycle lane must comply with Minn. Stats. 169.222.
What It Means: Traffic laws apply. Like any other driver, bicyclists must follow all the rules of the road.
- Bicyclists may ride on all Minnesota roads, except where restricted.
- Bicyclists must obey all traffic control signs and signals, just as motorists.
- Motorists and bicyclists must yield the right-of-way to each other.
- Bicyclists must signal their turns and should ride in a predictable manner.
- Bicyclists must use a headlight and rear reflectors when it’s dark. To increase visibility, add a rear flashing light.
- Bicyclists should always wear helmets.
The Law: Edina City Code Sec. 18-65. Section 307.2 Certain Open Fires Permitted. An open burning permit may be issued for the following purposes:
- Instruction and training of firefighting personnel.
- Abatement of hazards that, in the opinion of the fire chief, cannot be abated by other reasonable means.
- Management of vegetation by the jurisdiction, other governmental agencies, or other individuals that, in the opinion of the fire chief, show a valid need, and under the direction of the fire department.
- Special events or ceremonies by recognized organizations, under the direct supervision of the fire department.
- Recreational fires as approved by the fire chief.
What It Means: Before starting a recreational fire, obtain a free recreational fire permit at EdinaMN.gov/fire. Before each fire, call the recreational fire hotline to ensure the fire danger index is low with no bans in place. All fires must be contained in a ring or pit, and be at least 25 feet from all structures. A 5-foot radius around the fire must be clear of combustibles. Limit fires to no larger than three feet in diameter by two feet high. Properly extinguish a fire with water. Coals can still be hot, even days after the last visible flames are out.
Edina follows an odd/even schedule depending on your address. Yard watering is allowed only before 11 a.m. or after 5 p.m. on your scheduled days. Learn more.
Yard Restoration by Utility Companies
Several utility companies do work in Edina’s rights-of-way. If you have concerns about their restoration of your property, please contact them directly: