May is a celebration of all things heritage in Edina. The theme for this year's celebration, "This Place Matters," puts a spotlight on efforts to preserve, protect and enhance Edina's cultural and historical resources.
Created in 1971 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Preservation Month is observed by small towns and big cities across the country. For additional information please contact Emily Bodeker at 952-826-0462 or email@example.com.
The criteria guiding the Heritage Preservation Commission and City Council in evaluating potential landmark designations includes:
- An association with important events or patterns of events that reflect significant broad patterns in local history.
- An association with the lives of historically significant persons or groups.
- An embodiment of the distinctive characteristics of an architectural style, design, period, type or method of construction; possess high artistic values, or represent a significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinction.
- Important archaeological data or the potential to yield important archaeological data.
Plans of Treatment
As part of the designation process, a plan of treatment, precise to each heritage resource is created to provide guidelines for design review as well as specific recommendations for preservation, rehabilitation, restoration and reconstruction. Each plan of treatment will provide guidance regarding when a certificate of appropriateness is required from the Heritage Preservation Commission.
View the Heritage Landmark Properties on a map.
Built in 1886, the Baird house was designed by the prominent Minneapolis architect Charles S. Sedgwick. A well-known community landmark, the house was unquestionably the most imposing residence in nineteenth-century Edina.
The Browndale Bridge is historically significant for the engineering heritage embodied in its design and construction.
Cahill School, built in 1864, is one of Edina’s oldest surviving buildings.
The Edina Country Club District, platted in 1924 by Thorpe Brothers Realty Company, was one of the first modern planned communities in Minnesota.
The Edina Mills Archaeological Site is located on Minnehaha Creek in Dwight Williams Park, a unit of the City park system.
The Edina Theatre is an Art Deco style motion picture theater located at 3911 West 50th Street.
The history of the Grange Hall begins with a history of the Order of the Patrons of Husbandry – a national organization for the “social fraternity of the farmers” dedicated to the principles of “progressive agriculture.”
Jonathan Taylor and Elizabeth (Eliza) Gordon Grimes were the first settlers in the Edina Mills district, establishing their 16-acre ‘Lake Calhoun Nursery’ in 1858.
The Oskam House is a two-level, single-family residence in the International style with a rectangular plan, a butterfly roof, post and beam construction, a walk-out basement, and a two-car detached garage.
Paul Peterson of Denmark built and occupied this residence on his farm on or about 1880, and retained ownership of the property for at least the next 40 years.
Constructed of a multi-plate steel arch and local Platteville Limestone, Wooddale Avenue Bridge provides a rustic style, fitting for its location on Minnehaha Creek.