Learn to Skate
- Learn to Skate USA classes are offered for beginners through advanced skaters, ages 3 through adult.
- Registration begins one month before each session begins with classes offered in the fall (September-December), Winter (January-April), and Summer (June-August).
Call Guest Services at 952-833-9506
- Edina Residents: Noon on Wednesday, Dec. 8
- Non-Residents: Noon on Wednesday, Dec. 15
- See Classes and Register
- Classes start the week of January 3
- If a class shows a waitlist, please complete registration and you will be contacted if a spot becomes available
- Skate School Winter 2022 Classes (PDF)
Adult/Child (30 Minutes)
This is a class for the young skater who would like and adult on the ice with them.
Snowplow Sam: Levels 1 - 4 (30 Minutes)
Ages 3 - K
The Snowplow Sam levels are introductory classes divided into four progressive levels allowing children with no prior skating experience to build confidence while learning the basic skills of skating. These classes are designed to help children six and younger develop the ABCs of movement - Agility, Balance, Coordination and speed. The ABCs are essential for developing fundamental movement skills and physical literacy. All classes will be taught in a safe and positive environment, incorporating fun and games making class time an enjoyable experience for all.
View specific curriculum requirements for Snowplow Sam (PDF).
Basic Skills: Levels 1 - 6 (30 Minutes)
Grade 1 and older (ages 6-18)
Basic Skills teaches the FUNdamentals of ice skating and provides the best foundation for figure skating, hockey and speed skating. Six progressive levels introduce forward and backward skating, stops, edges, crossovers, and turns. Upon completion of the Basic Skills 1-6 levels, skaters will be able to confidently advance to more specialized areas of skating. All classes will be well-structured with the focus on proper skill development taught in a positive, fun, and social environment. Skaters will progress at their own rate and advance after skill mastery is demonstrated.
View the specific curriculum for Basic Skills (PDF).
USA Hockey (30 or 45 minutes)
The Hockey curriculum is designed to teach the fundamentals of hockey skating. Skaters will learn how to be more proficient and agile on the ice as they advance through the four progressive levels. Proper skating techniques for the game of hockey are the primary focus. All elements will be taught without a puck. Skaters will learn the basic hockey stance, stride, knee bend, use of edges and other necessary fundamentals to be successful in hockey practices and game situations. A helmet, gloves and stick are required. Skaters must pass Snowplow Sam 2 or Basic 1 to register.
View the specific curriculum requirements for Hockey (PDF).
Jump & Spin (60 minutes)
This hour-long class is for skaters who are interested in advancing their figure skating skills. Skaters will learn edges, crossovers, and turns while developing the building blocks to learn more advanced figure skating skills. Skater must pass Basic 2 or have instructor recommendation to register.
Adult Learn to Skate (30 minutes)
Ages 18 and older
The Adult Beginner class is a great way for new skaters to learn balance and coordination on the ice. Adult Intermediate class is offered for those who want to get back on the ice and learn some new skills.
- What class should I register my child for?
- What if the class I want to register for indicates a wait list?
- What is the cancellation/refund policy?
- What should I do if I receive an error message that states "child does not meet age requirements"?
- Are skates available for rent?
- If I miss a class, can I make it up later?