Park System Strategic Plan
The City of Edina developed a comprehensive Park, Recreation and Trails Systems Strategic Master Plan in 2015 to provide a clear vision for Edina's park system and guide decision making regarding the development and redevelopment of parks, trails and recreational opportunities as well as the associated funding.
The plan encompasses a 20-year period (2015 to 2035) and includes both short- and long-term recommendations.
Sections of the plan were updated as part of the Comprehensive Plan update in 2020 and included in the Parks chapter of that plan.
Master Plan Purpose
- Establish clear and realistic goals, objectives, and implementation strategies that can guide Edina's decision making for the next 10 to 15 years.
- Provide system-wide recommendations which incorporate any detailed studies completed to date as well as ongoing planning and design initiatives
- Provide a strategy to preserve and maintain open space and significant natural resources in Edina
- Evaluate current facilities and programs to determine if the recreation and leisure needs of Edina's citizens are being adequately met
- Identify and evaluate potential cooperative local community, nonprofit and private sector ventures that can aid in meeting recreation needs
- Assist the community in establishing a vision for the future of their park and recreation system
- Provide a user-friendly roadmap to guide the implementation of the community's vision for a sustainable 21st century Parks and Recreation system