The national #8CantWait campaign, also known as the Police Use of Force Project, encourages cities to adopt eight use-of-force policies for their police departments:
- Ban chokeholds and strangleholds
- Require de-escalation
- Require warning before shooting
- Require exhaust all alternatives before shooting
- Duty to intervene
- Ban shooting at moving vehicles
- Require use of force continuum
- Require comprehensive reporting
The Edina Police Department’s existing policies incorporate these bans, requirements and duties. Those issues are addressed in the Department’s policies. The Use-of-Force policies can be viewed online:
Edina Police Officers do not train on or use any defensive tactics such as chokeholds or carotid restraints, so there is not mention of them in the Edina Police Department Policies.
The Edina Police Department is working to post other policies online. Please visit this page again for future updates.