5146 Eden Avenue - former Public Works site
The City of Edina Housing and Redevelopment Authority owns the vacant 3.3-acre parcel located at the intersection of Eden and Arcadia Avenues. This site is behind Jerry’s Foods and west of Hilltop Bar & Grill. This site has been vacant since the Public Works Department was relocated to a larger and more modern facility in 2010.
This property has been the subject of several different redevelopment planning efforts for about ten years. These past efforts did not move forward despite strong interest from the development community and strong interest to see the vacant site restored to productive use.
In 2014, the City selected Frauenshuh Inc. from a field of ten real estate teams to collaboratively explore options for constructing a new Civic Facility on a portion of the site along with Shared Public Parking and new privately developed housing. The relationship with Frauenshuh was re-affirmed in December 2017 (PDF), and negotiations for a potential sale of a portion of the site have been ongoing.
The initial concept featured a new Edina Art Center, outdoor public park and residential high rise. After further consideration, this concept did not appear viable and a revised concept was prepared.
The current concept (PDF) features an expanded 30,000 square feet public facility that could serve as a new home for the Edina Art Center and integrated facilities for Edina's Active Adult (senior) programming. The public building would be constructed with two levels (approximately 160 stalls) of public/shared parking to provide plenty of room for patrons. The public facilities would also include a new outdoor public plaza (approximately 30,000 to 40,000 square feet in area). The southern edge of the site would be used to construct new residential units - most likely apartment homes priced at both
The concept is under consideration by the HRA as they negotiate real estate terms to sell portions of the property so that this vision can be delivered. Please note that this updated concept is still subject to the City's typical site plan review process which will include an open house and public hearings to help shape the final project.
- Resident Survey, May 2014 (PDF)
- Planning History and Timeline, 2014 (PDF)
- Explore Session Summary, December 2014 (PDF)
- Explore Session Summary, January 2015 (PDF)
- Image Survey, January 2015 (PDF)
- Small Session Summary, January 2015 (PDF)
- Open House Summary, April 2015 (PDF)
- Public Works Site, Open House Materials, April 2015 (PDF)
- Public Works Site, Recommended Site Concept, September 2015 (PDF)
- Public Works Site, City Council Presentation, September 2015 (PDF)
- Grandview Community Center, Final Report, May 2016 (PDF)
- Grandview Community Center, Appendix Material, May 2016 (PDF)
- Professional Development Agreement, December 2017 (PDF)
- High-Rise Concept, January 2018 (Not approved) (PDF)
- Low-Rise Concept, June 18, 2018 (Pending) (PDF)