The Arthur Erickson House was built in 1950 through the direction of (Frank) Lloyd Wright Jr. Arthur Erickson and his brother Alfred, who ran a petroleum business that eventually became Holiday Stationstores, commissioned two homes on the west side of Edina. The home belonging to Alfred was torn down in 1998, making the preservation of the Arthur Erickson home even more exceptional.
Wright brought many elements of the outdoors into his design of the home, including indoor, irrigated planters that line the edge of the house. Each planter is shaped like a triangle, with two of the three sides serving as floor to ceiling windows looking out into the yard. In addition to many windows, the home has a sprawling “Z” shape that allows each room to have an open and bright feeling.
The home has been cared for and preserved by Brian and Linda Tell since 1993.