What To Do If ...

What should I do if my carbon monoxide alarm sounds?

Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wool, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.

What should I do if my smoke alarm is chirping or sounding?

A properly installed and maintained smoke alarm is an important safety device in your home than can alert you and your family to a fire 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Whether you’re awake or asleep, a working smoke alarm is constantly on alert, scanning the air for both fire and smoke.

How can I get a smoke alarm from Edina Fire?

The Edina Fire Department installs smoke alarms equipped with 10-year batteries in single-family homes of qualifying homeowners.

What happens when I call 9-1-1?

In an emergency, call 9-1-1 from any wired or wireless phone. An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, fire department or ambulance.

What should I do if I smell natural gas, whether inside or outside?

What to do if you smell natural gas inside your home or building: Leave immediately! Do not use electrical switches, telephones (including cell phones) or anything that could cause a spark.

What should I do if a fire occurs?

  • Get out, stay out.
  • Don't go back inside a burning building for anything or anyone.
  • Upon exiting the building, call 9-1-1 from a neighbors home or use the fire alarm call box. Don't assume someone else has contacted the Fire Department. Always call 9-1-1.
  • Be aware if someone is unaccounted for to alert Fire Department personnel when they arrive on the scene.

What should I do if I believe a fire was set intentionally?

If you believe a fire was intentional, call the Arson Hotline at 800-723-2020.

How do I keep the kitchen a safe place to be?

Consider the following guidelines when keeping your kitchen safe.

How do I prevent dryer fires?

Follow these guideline to prevent dryer fires.

How do I report a fire hazard such as a blocked fire lane, locked exit doors, bars on windows with no quick-release latch, etc.?

Follow these steps to report a fire hazard.

How do I safely get rid of hazardous chemicals?

Hennepin County has two, year-round drop-off facilities where residents can recycle household hazardous wastes.

How do I get my child’s car seat inspected

Edina Fire recommends carseatsmadesimple.org to residents to help them understand how to choose the proper seat for their child ...

How do I properly dispose ashes from a fireplace, recreational fire or barbecue?

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) states that the proper way to dispose of ashes is to place them in a fire-resistant container and cover the container with a lid. Keep the container outdoors and away from combustibles. Dispose of ashes carefully, keeping them away from dry leaves, trash or other combustible materials.

How do I find the closest fire hydrant from my house for my insurance company?

To find the closest fire hydrant, complete the following steps ...

Who do I call to report a broken or leaking fire hydrant?

Broken or leaking fire hydrants can be reported to the Utility Department, 952-826-0375, during regular business hours, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Can I request to have a fire engine at our block party?

Contact Ruth Schmoll, Administrative Assistant at 952-826-0362 or rschmoll@edinamn.gov to schedule a fire engine to attend your block party or event.

How can I request an Edina Fire safety presentation at my school, church, business, event, etc.?

The Edina Fire Prevention Bureau often makes classroom visits and meets one-on-one with businesses and homeowners to discuss fire prevention and safety.

Do you offer any programs to help my child who plays with fire or sets fire?

Research shows that without intervention, youthful firesetting behavior trends will continue. Children who repeatedly start fires need help! The Edina Fire Department works with the State of Minnesota to help children who play or set fire through the Youth Firesetting Prevention & Intervention program.

Does Edina Fire accept donations?

Fire Station No. 1 collects food donations year-round for Volunteers Enlisted to Assist People (VEAP). During the holiday season, toy donations may also be dropped off. VEAP serves families in Edina, Bloomington and Richfield.

Can I do community service hours with Edina Fire?

Sponsoring agencies are able to fulfill community service hours with Edina Fire.

© 2017 City Of Edina, Minnesota