Animal Control

The City of Edina has an Animal Control Division. To report an animal violation, call the Edina Police Non-Emergency number at 952-826-1600. If you have any questions about animal care, animal ordinances or general questions about animal related issues call the Edina Police Department at 952-826-1610.

Wild Animals
Edina is home to a variety of wild animals. Some have adapted to suburban life and live in yards, storm sewers and chimneys. From time to time, a squirrel, raccoon, skunk, bat, or bird finds its way into a home- usually through the chimney. You can easily evict these visitors by opening doors and windows, or by renting or buying a live trap.

The Edina Animal Control officer will assist you if a raccoon or larger animal comes into the living space of your home, but you can avoid attracting these unwanted guests by asking a chimney sweep to install a cap or vent on your chimney.

Edina, and many other suburbs throughout the metro area, has seen a spike in raccoon activity. Many of these reports have been associated with sick and dead raccoons. Edina Animal Control has checked with MN-Department of Natural Resources, the MN Veterinary Diagnostic Lab and the MN Board of Animal Health. Based on information from these organizations, it has been determined that a wave of canine distemper is the cause of the illness in the raccoon population.

Distemper is not transmissible to humans but pets should be kept away from any suspect animals and as an additional precaution, make sure your pets are vaccinated against distemper as directed by your veterinarian.

If you see raccoons exhibiting signs of distemper such as tremors, seizures, no fear of humans, lethargy, vomiting and/or runny/watery discharge from the nose and eyes, call our Communications Center at 952-826-1600 to report the animal. Any deceased animals on your property may be disposed of by bagging the remains in a plastic bag and placing it in your garbage. Use proper sanitary precautions such as gloves or other protective methods to prevent direct contact with skin and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and warm water afterwards.

Call Animal Control Officer Tim Hunter with any questions, 952-826-0494.

With large open areas like Braemar and other city parks, coyotes and foxes and other wild animals can find inviting places in Edina to live and forage for food. We don’t always see them but that doesn’t mean they’re not here; occasionally an alert citizen will spot one of them and call Animal Control with questions.

Typically, coyotes are opportunistic hunters and will take advantage of the easiest and most available food sources. This includes many different types of food ranging from garbage to small mammals and birds. Unfortunately, they may infrequently also prey on domestic cats or small dogs so it’s always a good idea to monitor your pet while he’s outside, even if you aren’t aware of anything in your area.

Although coyotes can be a threat to domestic pets, they are not a threat to humans. Statistics from around the country show people are far more likely to be bitten by a domestic dog than to be bitten by a coyote. The Minnesota DNR has more information about coyotes on it’s website:

Take these precautions to ensure the safety of your pet:

  • Do not leave pet food or garbage outside.
  • Do not intentionally feed coyotes.
  • Do not leave dogs or cats outside unattended for long periods of time.
  • Pets should be leashed and attended when walking in any recreational area.
  • If confronted by a coyote, persons should shout or make some other loud noise to frighten the animal away.

According to City ordinance, no citizen can discharge a firearm or trap these animals.

Coyote Hazing

The Edina Police Department held coyote hazing presentations in 2012 to teach Edina residents the proper ways to haze coyotes. Hazing is a training method used to move an animal out of an area or discourage an undesirable behavior or activity. It has been proven successful in lowering coyote presence in other metropolitan areas and he hopes by educating residents here, Edina can succeed as well. The presentations also taught preventative measures to keep coyotes away and explained typical coyote behavior, including seasonal changes and what residents should expect from a coyote following the hazing. The city also includes coyote control as an option within its wildlife management program. 

Residents should call 9-1-1 to report any aggressive coyote behavior and be aware of the potential harm coyotes could inflict on pets and take the above precautions. Edina Animal Control is addressing nuisance coyote activity by providing awareness and public education.

If you have further questions, please call Edina Animal Control Officer Tim Hunter at 952-826-0494.

Domestic Dogs & Cats
Most common animal violations involve animals running at large, noisy animals and Edina’s leash law.

City ordinances prohibit people from allowing their animals to run at large, including cats. There is a common belief that cats must be allowed to roam free and hunt. This notion is not true. Cats will lead healthier, longer and safer lives if kept indoors. Dogs and cats found running at large may be impounded. Owners are responsible for all impound fees that include pick-up, daily boarding, medical attention and licensing. If an animal is found with a current City license on its collar, the dog may be returned to the owner instead of being impounded. All dogs over the age of six months must be licensed. Cats need not be licensed. Licenses can be purchased at City Hall, with a current rabies vaccination receipt.

Click here to purchase or renew a City dog license. Residents can also purchase an off-leash collar at the same time.

All dogs and cats over six months of age must be vaccinated against rabies. Dogs must display a current rabies tag and license at all times. If your dog bites someone, identify yourself and tell the victim whether your dog's rabies vaccination is current. Call 9-1-1 to report all animal bites. Your dog must be quarantined for 10 days. You must report to the Police or Health department if your dog gets sick, dies or exhibits abnormal behavior during the quarantine period. After 10 days, your dog must be examined by a veterinarian and a report of this examination given to the police. If your cat bites someone, you are required to report the bite to the Police and follow the same quarantine procedure as for dogs.

No more than three dogs or cats over six months of age may be kept at any residence.

Edina also has an ordinance to protect neighborhoods from noise made by dogs that bark excessively. Owners must keep dogs from continually barking when outside. We suggest that when you leave your home, bring your dog inside. Owners have no way of stopping a dog from barking if they are not at home. If you let your dog out early in the morning or late at night, remember to be considerate of your neighbors.

When off the owner’s property, all dogs and cats must be leashed. When you go out for a walk or run, your pet must be leashed at all times, including in City parks. An exception is in the City's off-leash dog area at Van Valkenburg Park.

Off-leash area

Learn more about the off-leash areas here.

Remember to protect your pets with up- to-date vaccinations and common sense. Don't leave pets in cars during warm weather. Car interiors can heat up to dangerous or even fatal temperatures in minutes.

You must provide adequate shelter for your pet to protect it from the cold, rain and summer sun. Always provide water and food if your pet is left outside for extended periods. 


Police Department

4801 W. 50th Street
Edina, MN 55424
General: 952-826-1610
Emergency: 911

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Coyote Responses

To learn the appropriate responses for various coyote behaviors click here.

Coyote Hazing Guidelines

 To learn how to haze coyotes for effective reshaping of coyote behavior click here.

Dog Licenses

All dogs over the age of six months must be licensed. Cats need not be licensed. Licenses can be purchased at City Hall, with a current rabies vaccination receipt.

Purchase a license online.

Off-Leash Collars

The off-leash area (OLA) at Van Valkenburg Park is open daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Edina residents must also purchase/renew a dog license. Cost for the OLA collar for residents is $25; non-residents, $50. Discounts are given for multiple dogs at City Hall.

Click here to purchase only the 2016 off-leash collar.

© 2017 City Of Edina, Minnesota