- Community Organizations
- Community Profile
- Contact Us
- Edina Public Art
- Edina Public Schools
- Hometown Heroes
- Information for Residents
- Job Listings
- Social Services
- 2013 Work Plan
- All Staff Directory
Communications & Technology Services
- About Town
- City Extra
- City Social Media Sites
- Communications Explorers Post
- Communications Internship
- Edina Community Channel 16
- Photo Contest
- Press Releases
- City Map - Benchmark
- Construction Projects
- Curb Cut Application
- Environmental Engineering
- Rights of Way Management
Fire-Rescue & Building Inspections
- Building Inspections
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Education & Prevention
- Chemical Health
- Community Health Committee
- Food, Beverage & Lodging Establishments
- Indoor Air Quality
- Life File
- Pools and Spas
- Public Health
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness
- Recycling & Solid Waste
- Human Resources
Parks & Recreation
- About Us
- Adult Athletics
- Employment Opportunities
- Park Maintenance
- Neighborhood Parks
- Recreation Programs
- Special Events
- Veterans Memorial
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Yorktown Park Pilot Community Garden
- Youth Athletics & Access To Public Facilities
- Civilian Services
- Crime Prevention
- Electrical/HVAC Division
- Equipment Operations Division
- Streets Division
- Traffic Division
- Utilities Division
- Load Restrictions
- Report a Problem
Advisory Boards & Commissions
- Art Center Board
- Board of Appeal and Equalization
- Community Health Committee
- Construction Board of Appeals
- Energy & Environment Commission
- Heritage Preservation Board
- Human Rights & Relations Commission
- Park Board
- Planning Commission
- Transportation Commission
- Application to Appointment
- City Council
- Advisory Boards & Commissions
- News & Publications
- Parks & Places
- 2013 Work Plan
- All Staff Directory
- Communications & Technology Services
- Community Development
- Fire-Rescue & Building Inspections
- Human Resources
- Parks & Recreation
- Public Works
Video Production Policies
The purpose of the City of Edina's audio and visual communications is to provide information about the City's government, services and attractions. Content produced by the City is cablecast on Comcast Channel 16 in Edina (Edina Community Channel 16), a government access channel. Content is also streamed via the City of Edina website, www.EdinaMN.gov as well as YouTube.
Content is chosen for production and broadcast based on the interest and value it may have to residents of Edina. All content is meant to promote the goal of making Edina the premiere place for living, learning, raising families and doing business.
Priorities For Video Production:
- Broadcast of meetings of the City Council, Park Board, Transportation Commission, Planning Commission and designated annual meetings of other advisory boards and commissions.
- Production and broadcast of regular City programs, including “Beyond the Badge", "Enterprise Edina” and “Agenda: Edina.”
- Production and broadcast of public service announcements of the City.
- Filming and broadcast of activities, meetings and events requested by other governmental units including Edina Public School, Hennepin County and the two watershed districts serving Edina. Costs of filming and production will be borne by the requesting jurisdiction.
- Production and broadcast of public service announcements requested by other governmental units. Costs of filming and production will be borne by the requesting jurisdiction.
- Filming and broadcast of meetings or events requested by Edina-based community organizations, provided the meeting or event has broad community appeal in the opinion of the Communications & Technology Services Director and is eligible and appropriate for broadcast on Edina Community Channel 16. Costs of filming and production will be borne by the sponsoring organization.
- Production of videos for non-profit organizations serving Edina, provided that the video will have broad community appeal in the opinion of the Communications & Technology Services Director and is eligible and appropriate for broadcast on Edina Community Channel 16. Costs of filming and production will be borne by the sponsoring organization.
- The City reserves the right to air all content it produces and/or films on Edina Community Channel 16. The City will make all final decisions on air time, frequency of playback and priority of airing.
- Any portions of footage filmed may be used by the City for other unrelated broadcasts produced by the City.
- All content produced by the Communications & Technology Services Department is copyrighted.
- Inappropriate content will not be filmed or considered for playback.
Examples of inappropriate content include:
- Programming with a commercial intent, such as that promoting a specific business or service, unless incidentally mentioned as part of a program or in exchange for a sponsorship.
- Political campaigning outside of a City-approved political debate or forum.
- Programming containing religious content, unless incidentally mentioned as part of a program.
- Pornography or offensive materials.
- Programming containing obscene content or language.
Editing and Playback of Meetings and Programming
Meetings of the Edina City Council and designated Commissions will be rebroadcast on Edina Community Channel 16 and streamed on the City of Edina website. The playback schedule and duration for these meetings is set by the Cable Coordinator with approval of the Communications & Technology Services Director, and is available from the Communications & Technology Services Department.
Meetings are recorded and broadcast in their entirety and will not be edited or modified for any reason, including typographical errors in graphics. Production of the meeting, including decisions about what camera angle or electronic presentation is shown during the broadcast, is dictated by the director of the meeting, who is a member of the Communications & Technology Services Department.
Programming and content outside of City meetings, including regular programming and public service announcements and special events, is produced and edited by the Communications & Technology Services Department. Content is dictated by the Communications & Technology Services Department staff, and is ultimately subject to the approval of the Communications & Technology Services Director. The playback schedule and duration for this programming is set by the Video Production Coordinator with the approval of the Communications & Technology Services Director, and is available from the Communications & Technology Services Department.
To ensure consistency, content from non-government agencies and organizations will not be accepted for playback on Edina Community Channel 16. Such content should be directed to Southwest Community Television for playback on the public access channel.
Video content professionally produced by government units or organizations to which the City of Edina belongs will be considered for playback on Edina Community Channel 16 by the Video Production Coordinator, in consultation with the Communications & Technology Services Director. Examples of organizations to which the City of Edina belongs are the League of Minnesota Cities, Municipal Legislative Commission, International City-County Management Association, American Public Works Association, City-County Communications and Marketing Association, National Association of Government Communicators and the Minnesota Recreation and Parks Association. Video must be of a like-professional quality, with strong picture and audio quality, composition, lighting and white balance of content. Editing must be complete and include introductory slate and credits.
DVD copies of all meetings, events and content produced by the City of Edina is available for purchase from the Communications & Technology Services Department. Compatibility with all DVD players cannot be guaranteed.
Public Use of City-Produced Content
Content filmed and produced by the Communications & Technology Services Department staff is available to the public for use when a written request is made for specific footage. The City may charge a fee to recoup the cost of preparing the requested media files. Credit must be given to “EDINA 16” for any content used.
No advertisement will be shown on Edina Community Channel 16. “Advertisement” means any message or other programming material that is cablecast, streamed or otherwise transmitted in exchange for remuneration and that is intended to 1) promote a service, facility or product offered by any person who is engaged in such offering for profit or 2) support or oppose any candidate for political office.
“Sponsorship” means any message or other programming material that is cablecast, streamed or otherwise transmitted in exchange for remuneration and that is intended to acknowledge an organization’s support of programming on Edina Community Channel 16.
Sponsorship for future programming will be considered by the Communications & Technology Services Department as a means to recoup expenses incurred for the production of the program, and will ultimately be subject to the approval of the Communications & Technology Services Director.
Sponsors may be acknowledged by up to a 30-second text and voice message at the beginning of the program. Text may appear over a static presentation of the sponsor’s logo. The voice message will consist of the following information: “This program made possible in part with funding provided by (name of the underwriter).”
EDINA 16 Video Production Services
The City of Edina video production staff is available for video production services to non-profit organizations or government agencies, provided the event or activity has a broad community appeal. Examples of approved non-profit or government entities include youth athletic associations, 494 Commuter Services, 50th & France Business & Professional Association, Children’s HeartLink, Community Action Partnership for Suburban Hennepin, Edina Chamber of Commerce, Edina Community Foundation, Edina Education Fund, Edina Public Schools, Hennepin County, Hennepin County Library, League of Women Voters of Edina, SAVE, Sobriety High School and VEAP. All such projects must be coordinated through the Video Production Coordinator with approval from the Communications & Technology Services Director.
Requests for video production services must be made at least seven days prior to the event that will be filmed. Requests for which staff is unavailable will be denied.
Videos not eligible for playback on Edina Community Channel 16 might be appropriate for playback on Comcast’s public access channel. For more information on Public Access available to residents of Edina, contact the Southwest Community Television Access Administrator, 952-607-4504.
Under state law, a city with a population of more than 15,000 must annually notify its residents of the positions and salaries of its three highest-paid employees. As of Jan. 1, 2013, those positions in Edina are City Manager, $156,043; Police Chief, $129,958; and Director of Engineering, $129,958.